Model resolution & implementation toolkit
A Vision Zero resolution is a valuable tool for formalizing, prioritizing, and pursuing policies that can help a locality eliminate fatal and severe traffic crashes and improve mobility for all community members.
Our Vision Zero Model Resolution provides a framework and a process to help cities and counties develop an actionable plan to achieve their traffic safety goals. The process is defined by meaningful, ongoing community engagement and data-driven decision making to ensure equity, transparency, and accountability in the policymaking process. The Vision Zero Implementation Toolkit provides guidance to support local government staff and community advocates in using the policy.
Vision Zero Model Resolution
The model resolution is designed to help ensure that local governments use an equity framework to develop and implement Vision Zero strategies that prioritize safer speeds and safer roads and that improve safety culture and collaboration.
To accomplish Vision Zero goals that advance health equity as well as safety, the resolution provides sample language to aid the following activities:
- Partnering for equitable community engagement
- Establishing a task force and advisory group
- Ensuring data-driven solutions
- Prioritizing pedestrians, bicyclists, transit riders, scooter riders, and people with disabilities over ease of use of personal automobiles
- Prioritizing underinvested areas and communities
- Increasing government accountability through public participation and public reporting provisions
Vision Zero Implementation Toolkit
To support local jurisdictions in effectively implementing their Vision Zero policies, we have developed a toolkit to supplement our Vision Zero Model Resolution, providing additional context and guidance that are important for advancing the health and equity goals of Vision Zero.
The toolkit addresses these topics:
- The rationale for Vision Zero
- Community engagement strategies
- Data collection and analysis
- Examples of how communities configure task forces and advisory groups
- Key elements of an action plan
- Equitable enforcement
- How the legal issue of preemption might affect Vision Zero policies