Meeting the Moment
Opportunities for Comprehensive Healthy Housing & Health Equity During COVID-19
In October 2020, ChangeLab Solutions virtually convened a response to the coronavirus pandemic and the resulting economic recession, both of which adversely affected housing stability and access to healthy, affordable housing. This is the first session of Advancing Healthy & Affordable Housing and Promoting Equity in the COVID-19 Era, the virtual event.
Meeting the Moment: Opportunities for Comprehensive Healthy Housing & Health Equity During COVID-19 examines how local governments can respond to the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic and structural racism on housing quality, affordability, and stability.
Session participants were engaged in
- Understanding the racial inequities of the pre-existing housing crisis and how COVID-19 is changing the scale and complexity of this crisis;
- Gaining new insights and frameworks on how to pursue and present health equity and racial justice in their housing work; and
- Learning how cities are developing local housing solutions that respond to the needs of their communities by centering health equity and racial justice.
- Ayonna Blue Donald, City of Cleveland
- Kim Foreman, Environmental Health Watch
- Sarah de Guia, ChangeLab Solutions
- Dayna Bowen Matthew, The George Washington University Law School
- Gregory Miao, ChangeLab Solutions
- Mark Willis, Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy, New York University