The American Public Health Association (APHA) 2019 Annual Meeting and Expo is right around the corner. This year’s event will take place in Philadelphia on November 2–6, and staff from ChangeLab Solutions will be presenting on a variety of topics related to public health law.
Please stop by APHA booth #506 to see the ChangeLab Solutions display and connect with community solutions manager Phebe Gibson and other staff members. Booth 506 will be located next to the National Center for Healthy Housing and across from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Our booth will be open during the following hours:
- Sunday, November 3: 1:30–6:00pm
- Monday, November 4: 9:00am–5:00pm
- Tuesday, November 5: 9:00am–5:00pm
New ChangeLab Solutions CEO Sarah de Guia will be available to chat informally at the booth on Tuesday, November 5, 4:00–5:00pm.
In addition, other ChangeLab Solutions staff members will be presenting on their work, topics of interest, and recently published tools and articles. Here is information about their presentations:
- Phebe Gibson, Manel Kappagoda, and Alexis Etow will be giving a pre-conference training, Advancing Equity Through Policy Change, at the 100 Million Healthier Lives Fall Gathering. Registration has already closed. The training will take place on Sunday, November 3, 1:00–4:00pm.
- CEO Sarah de Guia and senior vice president of programs Manel Kappagoda will lead a session on Advocacy in the Current Political Climate: Know the Rules and Get Involved. See their presentation on Monday, November 4, 1:00–2:30pm.
- Manel Kappagoda will be presenting From the Clinic to the City Council: How Health Systems Are Addressing the Social Determinants of Health Through Policy Change. The other presenters on the panel will be Jaime Dircksen from Trinity Health, Kendall Stagg from Kaiser Permanente, and Kate Blackburn from Nemours Children’s Health System. Attend the panel on Monday, November 4, 3:00–4:30 pm.
- Senior attorney Derek Carr will discuss Preemption, Public Health, and Health Equity: A Proposed Framework and Research Agenda at a panel on Monday, November 4, 3:00–4:30pm.
- Senior attorney Alexis Etow will present Rethinking the Role of Law in Addressing the Social Determinants of Health: At the Intersection of Education Policy, Civil Rights Law, and Health Justice - Part II as part of a panel on Tuesday, November 5, 8:30–10:00am.
- At the same panel as Alexis, program director Kimberly Libman will speak about ChangeLab Solutions’ A Blueprint for Changemakers: Achieving Health Equity Through Law and Policy. Attend the panel on Tuesday, November 5, 8:30–10:00am.
- Policy analyst Cesar De La Vega will discuss Using School-Based Restorative Justice Practices to Promote Health and Equity. Check out his session on Wednesday, November 6, 10:30am–12:00pm.
- At the same session, Cesar De La Vega will also be presenting A New Vision for School Discipline: Ensuring All Students Learn, Thrive, and Heal. Join him on Wednesday, November 6, 10:30am–12:00pm.
- Derek Carr will explain Minimum Floor Price Laws: An Emerging Strategy to Reduce Tobacco-Related Socioeconomic Inequities at a session on Wednesday, November 6, 12:30–2:00pm.