Are you eager to inspire others to adopt public health policies that support low-income communities and communities of color? ChangeLab Solutions is looking for a Digital Content Writer who is passionate about social justice and persuasive communications. We require a minimum of 2 years’ experience in creating mission-focused promotional material and managing social media in support of a nonprofit organization. You will support our multidisciplinary team in translating complex policy solutions that advance health, equity, and sustainability into accessible and compelling written content.
We serve a wide variety of audiences (including policymakers, public health practitioners, staff from governmental agencies, advocates for healthy communities, and city and county attorneys); you will keep the voice of ChangeLab Solutions fresh and engaging for these audiences.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions is a national organization that advances equitable laws and policies to ensure healthy lives for all. We prioritize communities whose residents are at highest risk for poor health. Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers, planners, policy analysts, and other professionals works with state and local governments, advocacy organizations, and anchor institutions to create thriving communities. For more information on how we create healthier communities for all through equitable laws and policies, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our mission.
- Innovation: We drive practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions’ leadership and staff are committed to centering equity, diversity, and inclusion in our organizational culture, norms, practices, and policies. We are establishing accountability mechanisms at individual, department, and organizational levels. As a staff, we are engaging in conversations on race, power, and intersectional identities. As an organization, we are committing time, resources, and internal capacities to this work. We are eager to hire applicants who are personally dedicated to equity, diversity, and inclusion and who are excited to join an organization where this work is part of the employee experience.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the Digital Content Writer will have responsibilities in the following areas:
- Write website copy to promote and explain publications and trainings on a wide range of policy topics
- Write promotional and news items for our email outreach, website, and quarterly newsletter, to advance our organizational mission, define our brand, and grow our audience
- Work with program staff (professionals with legal, planning, policy, and public health backgrounds) on writing projects such as blogs and social media campaigns
- Work with ChangeLab Solutions’ Editor & Copywriter to balance workload and meet deadlines
- Write or edit presentations and video scripts
- Draft content for fundraising campaigns
Social Media (30%)
- Develop engaging social media campaigns to increase our audience
- Write social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to promote our work
- Manage social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn), including pulling reports on reach and reporting on activity from key partners
- Train staff on social media as needed
- Develop and write success stories, testimonials, and case studies, working with program staff or external partners
- Conduct interviews as needed
Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
The Digital Content Writer will be an efficient, creative writer with excellent storytelling instincts, savvy in social media and web platforms. Candidates must meet all of these minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in mass communication, journalism, English, marketing, public health, public policy, urban studies, or other related field. Work experience equivalent to one of these degrees may be substituted with explanation of the equivalency in the cover letter.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a writer in journalism, marketing, or fundraising
- Experience with managing social media platforms, increasing audience engagement, and interpreting web and social media analytics
- Ability to collaborate to create high-quality and engaging material
- Demonstrated skill in making technical content accessible and engaging
- Experience in translating technical writing into compelling posts and stories for social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Strong understanding of brand management and how to develop an organizational voice
- Demonstrated skill in discerning the right stories and projects to advance mission and engage appropriately with target audiences
- Track record of managing multiple projects that includes establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word, Outlook, and Teams
Required Personal Attributes
- Attention to detail is a must!
- Proven ability to work proactively, with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of the Communications team and with a wide range of other staff members
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Cultural humility and deep commitment to our organizational value of equity
Desired Skills and Personal Attributes
Top candidates will have some of these characteristics:
- Experience in the nonprofit, government, public health, or health care sector
- Experience in working with public health, public policy, legal, or planning professionals
- Experience in writing fundraising and development materials
- Experience in writing scripts for presentations and developing storyboards
- Media relations experience
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to edit and mark up PDFs, using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- Experience in using a CMS like WordPress or Drupal
- Knowledge of basic HTML tags
- Experience with adhering to style guides (e.g., AMA, Chicago, AP, MLA, APA)
- Ability to communicate via phone and email
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry 10 pounds
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ChangeLab Solutions staff will be working remotely from their homes through the end of 2020. Applicants should be comfortable with working from home and with virtual connection programs and practices. In January 2021 or when it is safe, work in our Oakland office will be expected for staff in the Oakland–San Francisco Bay Area (although flexibility to work at home a few days a week will remain).
We will consider applicants from areas of California beyond the Bay Area. Once in-office work resumes, staff outside the Bay Area will remain classified as remote employees and regular travel to the Oakland office for meetings and in-person engagement will be expected.
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Full-time, non-exempt position; starting hourly pay of $28.84 - $31.25 ($60,000 - $65,000 annual equivalent)
- Great benefits! Medical, dental, vision coverage (ChangeLab Solutions contributes 100% for employees and 50% for dependent premiums.) * Long-term disability insurance * Life insurance * 403(b) plan with 3% employer contribution * Commuter benefits, including $100 monthly public transit subsidy * Flexible spending accounts (dependent care, health care, and transportation)
- Generous paid time off package starting at roughly 4.5 weeks per year, plus 10 holidays and weeklong closure in December
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Work with a talented group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Digital Content Writer in the subject line of the email.
The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and 2 short writing samples.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.