ChangeLab Solutions is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the position of Staff Attorney. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced attorney interested in blending legal practice with developing cutting-edge public health policies. The successful candidate will work with our interdisciplinary team of lawyers, urban planners, policy analysts, and public health professionals to develop legal and policy solutions that improve health outcomes and advance health equity.
About ChangeLab Solutions
The Staff Attorney will work with project teams across a range of policy areas but will primarily focus on tobacco control for at least the next year.
Tobacco control work includes efforts to reduce exposure to secondhand smoke and the sale and consumption of commercial tobacco, with an emphasis on policies that advance health equity and eliminate tobacco-related health disparities. This may require analyzing constitutional issues; examining federal, state, and local regulatory schemes; keeping apprised of the evolving tobacco product marketplace; and understanding the intersection of state and local laws for both cannabis and tobacco products. The Staff Attorney may also work in other policy areas, including land use and planning, housing and community development, food and nutrition, and active transportation, as well as new and emerging fields.
The Staff Attorney will conduct legal and policy research; produce high-quality written products; develop customized, interactive trainings (both in person and via webinar); and provide technical assistance to our partners and clients, including community-based organizations, policymakers, and public officials across the nation. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, creative environment, and will demonstrate a high level of cultural competency working with individuals and groups who come from diverse backgrounds and have different perspectives.
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
Required Skills and Attributes
- JD; must be a member of a state bar (preferably California) and licensed to practice law in the United States
- Between one to three years of relevant legal experience (e.g., public agency law firm, city attorney, county counsel, office of legislative counsel, nonprofit legal organization)
- Expertise in one or more of these legal or policy areas: municipal law, land use law, public finance, housing, economic development, constitutional law, school law, health equity, food systems, and tobacco control
- Experience conducting legal research, analysis, and writing
- Experience drafting and analyzing legislation
- Ability to translate complex legal issues into accessible and understandable concepts for a lay audience
- Strong attention to detail in written and oral communications
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and take personal initiative
- Ability to travel (including out-of-state travel)
- Drafting legal memoranda
- Researching and analyzing federal, state, and local laws and policies
- Drafting model legislation for state and local public agencies
- Developing innovative tools and resources that meet the needs of our clients and partners, such as fact sheets, checklists, policy guides, and toolkits
- Providing accurate and tailored technical assistance to policymakers and advocates
- Coordinating and delivering engaging, interactive trainings and presentations at workshops, conferences, and on webinars
- Cultivating relationships with existing and new partners and clients
- Developing new business
- Facilitating and contributing to internal and external dialogue that advances our innovative approach
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Experience working with one or more of the following constituencies: public health departments, local government staff, elected officials, advocacy groups, and community-based organizations
- Experience cultivating client relationships that lead to new business in a consulting, nonprofit, or legal setting
- Experience giving presentations or trainings on complex topics
- Experience drafting amici curiae briefs
- Experience providing technical assistance on legal and policy topics
- Fluency in Spanish, Cantonese, or Vietnamese
- Education or experience in multiple relevant disciplines (e.g., JD and master’s degree in public health, urban planning, public policy, etc.)
How to apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE