Program Associates staff one or more large projects, reporting to a program staff member. This position provides essential services to ensure that the project meets its key objectives and deliverables while remaining on schedule and on budget. Program Associates support our health equity, chronic disease prevention, tobacco control, and healthy and sustainable planning efforts, gaining experience in a wide range of issues that impact the communities and institutions in which we live, work, play, and learn. This position requires a person who can successfully juggle multiple priorities with a sense of flexibility and a talent for producing careful and accurate work.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Project Management Support (30%)
- Support project managers with development of project plans
- Develop workflow and systems improvements
- Generate reports for internal use and for distribution to funders
- Oversee logistics of virtual and in-person meetings
- Act as liaison with partners, funders, advisory boards, and others
Product Development and Capacity-Building Assistance (70%)
- Research and write about a variety of cutting-edge public health policy issues
- Collect, synthesize, and analyze primary and secondary research sources
- Support development of survey instruments and lead results analysis
- Conduct key informant interviews
- Support development of products and tools
- Support content development for trainings, meetings, convenings, etc.
- Assist with delivery of capacity-building assistance to communities
Additional duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- BA/BS in a related field; at least 4 years of relevant experience may be substituted for a formal degree
- Excellent organizational, written, and oral skills
- Advanced project planning skills
- Experience in managing meetings and conferences
Required Personal Attributes
Ability to manage workload consisting of a diverse set of projects
- Ability to communicate via phone and email
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds
Desired Skills and Personal Attributes
- Experience in working with one or more of the following constituencies: public health departments, planning departments, local government staff, elected officials, advocacy groups, or community-based organizations
- Experience with working in a consulting environment
- Ability to travel (including out-of-state travel)
- Fluency in Spanish
- Education or experience at the intersection of relevant disciplines, policy areas, or settings
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Full-time, non-exempt position, hourly pay of $26-31 ($55,000-$65,000 annual equivalent)
- Great benefits!
- Health insurance: medical, dental, and vision coverage, with ChangeLab Solutions contributing 100% for employee and 50% for dependent premiums
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) with 5% employer contribution
- Commuter benefits, including $100 public transit subsidy
- Flexible spending accounts (pretax health care and dependent care)
- Funds for training and professional development
- Generous paid time off package starting at roughly 4.5 weeks PTO, plus 10 holidays with week-long closure in December
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Fiscally stable organization
- Work with a talented group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
How to Apply
To apply for the Program Associate position, please email all required information to email@example.com; please include Program Associate in the subject line of the email.
The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant writing sample.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The position remains open until filled; application review will begin on 3/19/18.
No phone calls, please.