ChangeLab Solutions is looking for a broadly talented communications professional to design and execute a strategic communications vision for achieving our nonprofit mission: Healthier communities for all through better laws and policies. The ideal candidate will be a creative, strategic thinker with an aptitude for implementation and a passion for health equity and social justice.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
For more information about how we create healthier communities for all through better laws and policies, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
The ChangeLab Solutions communications team currently produces approximately 75 publications per year; maintains our website, contact databases, and social media platforms; coordinates outreach efforts to a list of over 12,000 subscribers; and supports development and fundraising efforts. The team works with nearly 50 staff from many disciplines to help them meet their production goals while working to represent the organization as a whole in order to grow our reach and funding base.
The Director of Communications will elevate and promote this work by designing and executing a strategic communications vision and plan that supports ChangeLab Solutions’ organizational mission, strategy, values, and priorities. They will hone our messages, elevate our profile, and engage key audiences, including media, policymakers, advocacy organizations, funders, and other thought leaders.
The person in this position will implement communications strategies to expand the organization’s impact, national presence, and growth, serving as a strategic thinker, thought partner, content creator, and guide to ChangeLab Solutions’ executive, communications, development, and multidisciplinary program staff.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Design and execute a strategic communications vision and plan that supports ChangeLab Solutions’ organizational mission, strategy, values, and priorities
- Define our organization’s brand, voice, stories, and core messages, and adapt them for different target audiences across multiple platforms, including our website and social media
- Create, implement, and evaluate communications and marketing strategies to reach, engage, and grow our audiences; elevate our profile; scale our impact; and grow our financial resources
- Serve as a thought partner to ChangeLab Solutions’ Executive Leadership Team on communications-related aspects of organizational strategy and priority projects
- Ensure ChangeLab Solutions has the right tools, training, and technology to engage target audiences
- Cultivate relationships with reporters and serve as media point person and spokesperson
- Collaborate with ChangeLab Solutions’ content experts on creating targeted messages and strategies to advance policy change in support of healthier communities
- Contribute content and serve as executive editor for all external messaging, including email newsletters/announcements, website content, social media, and other promotional materials
- Support internal communications
Staff and Team Development/Management
- Lead and mentor an initial team of 3 communications professionals (Senior Communications Production Manager, Senior Online Communications Manager, and Copywriter & Editor) to ensure that skills and expertise are well used and match needs of the work
- Provide communications strategy, messaging, and brand discipline and guidance to ChangeLab Solutions’ multidisciplinary staff
- Work closely with the Development Team to support business development and fundraising
- Provide media training and talking points to staff who are well-known content experts in the field
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- At least seven years of marketing/communications experience with a proven track record of leadership and accomplishment in achieving organizational goals and mission; nonprofit experience preferred.
- Deep understanding of communications strategies and message framing that influence change in public policy at all levels of government
- Strong oral, visual, and written communication skills, including storytelling or blog/article writing experience
- Expertise and experience with web-based communications, emerging strategies, and leveraging associated technologies on a tight budget
- Experience with social media and email marketing to increase engagement and reach with target audiences
- Experience in cultivating media relations and working directly with media outlets
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including experience in supervising staff, leading with a customer service orientation, and managing multiple projects and priorities
Required Personal Attributes
- Passion for the mission of ChangeLab Solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated team player (playing both leadership and execution roles)
- Self-starter and collaborator with ability to excel in a dynamic team environment
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Experience working on a national level
- Experience in government, public health, and/or health care sectors
- Experience in working with planning, public health, public policy, or legal professionals
- Experience with business development and fundraising
- Experience in managing website content and increasing audience engagement
- Experience with ensuring brand consistency, brand rollout, or rebranding
- Experience in adhering to editorial and brand style guides and guiding others in their use
- Relevant advanced degree
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Work with a group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
- Fiscally stable organization with a strong communications team
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Generous paid time off package and funds for training and professional development
- Great benefits! Medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; 403(b) with 5% employer contribution; commuter benefits; and a flexible benefit plan
- Full-time position; salary range $95,000 to $105,000 per year
How to Apply
To apply for the Director of Communications position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Director of Communications in the subject line of the email.
The following are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant work sample.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.